David Payne was born in Annan in the old county of Dumfriesshire,
Scotland in 1843, the son of a Mason.
He was educated at Annan Academy along with William Ewart Lockhart who also became a
Payne initially made his living as a house painter before becoming a
landscape artist. He moved to Derby in 1869 and was recorded as living at several places in
the county of Derbyshire in the 1880s, including Duffield and Barrow upon
Trent. Payne was a student of George Turner ("Derbyshire's John
Constable") who also lived in Barrow upon Trent. Payne
became a rural landscape and trompe l'oeil
at the Derby Art Gallery he won a medal for a carving
of two anglers. He exhibited his work at
the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists,
Museum and Art Gallery, and was a member of the Royal Scottish Academy. He is regarded as one of the best of the 19th
Century Birmingham artists. In 1891, Queen Victoria visited Derby to lay
the foundation stone of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary and to knight Sir Alfred Haslam. The scene in the market
place where hundreds of people, soldiers, horses and bunting, turned out to
meet Queen Victoria was captured by Payne. This painting is now in Derby Museum and Art Gallery.
Payne married and had 14 children.
He died in Sheffield
Work Represented: Derby Museum; Defence Academy; Southampton City Art Gallery.